Who needs wireless network security measures? Find out how to protect your business
Security is a crucial aspect of any organization. A robust network security policy can make all the difference in protecting your business from malicious threats and data losses. However, planning effective security measures requires careful consideration and implementation of the best practices. Keep reading to learn the essential wireless network security measures for businesses.
Encryption Of Sensitive Data
- It is the most critical security measure to protect your wireless network and secure business data. In encryption, all the necessary information is coded to make it unreadable for someone attempting to access data without permission. The information or data can only be decrypted and read by authorized users.
Encryption ensures your critical data remains confidential. This practice can protect your sensitive information from going into the wrong hands. Several ways can be used to implement encryption, including encryption software, hardware, or services. Additionally, ensure that your employees are educated on the significance of data encryption.
Implement Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
- Two-factor authentication is another essential security measure requiring users to enter a code generated by an authenticator app and a username and password. This adds an extra layer of security to the login process and makes it difficult for the invaders to access a business network.
Two-factor authentication can be enabled from the wireless router’s configuration page. Download an authenticator app such as Google Authenticator to implement two-step verification successfully. Moreover, businesses can consider passwordless authentication, such as cloud radius, for more robust security.
Conduct Security Audits
- Security audits are a proactive measure that helps identify network infrastructure vulnerabilities, weaknesses, and risks. This allows network security teams to implement corrective actions to enhance network performance and amplify defenses against various security threats, including malware, hacking attempts, and cyberattacks.
Additionally, security audits ensure compliance with industry regulations and best practices for network security. For instance, healthcare, finance, and government industries have specific regulations and standards that require regular network security assessments. By adhering to these requirements, organizations can show their commitment to maintaining robust security measures and protecting sensitive data.
Disable SSID Broadcast
- To prevent arbitrary wireless devices from connecting to your network, turn off the broadcasting of your SSID. Service Set Identifier or SSID allows your network to be discovered when nearby users try to connect their wireless devices. You can turn off this feature by accessing the wireless router’s configuration page and the SSID broadcast feature.
This makes it harder for unauthorized users to connect to your network. Although your network name will still be displayed to someone using a wireless network scanner within the range, accessing your network won’t be as easy with SSID broadcast disabled.
Disable Remote Administration
- Another measure that helps improve wireless network security is turning off remote administration. Remote administration allows users with appropriate credentials to access the router’s configuration page and make changes to the network. However, this can pose serious security threats to your business. Therefore, it is crucial to disable remote administration from the configuration page.
In addition, creating a stronger password and changing it regularly is a significant step toward protecting your business organization’s network. You can implement a firm password policy by creating long passwords, mixing uppercase and lowercase letters, and using a unique combination of phrases and words in your password.
Enhance your network security today by joining hands with experts at Outsource My IT. We offer Wireless Network Security to companies in New Jersey. Give us a call at (973) 638-2722. We have an experienced team of IT specialists who work with you to ensure your network is secure from unauthorized access.