Importance of network cabling in a small business
You may not believe but internet and network cabling for small and medium businesses include wiring hundreds of feet of cables throughout your space that must go through other types of wires, pipes, cords, and powerlines.
While this requires a lot of drilling and in some cases digging, cutting the cables and attaching the jacks is something only the professionals can do properly. Outsource My IT has been providing network cabling to small and medium businesses for decades and they have just shared the best tips to help you out.
Never Begin Without Proper Planning
- Planning is crucial for everything you do in your business. Without a plan, the network cabling will not be able to work as intended. You need to make sure you have a plan that looks at both the present and the future of the business.
The first process of the planning should be picking the kind of cable you want to be installed. There are numerous cables that provide better bandwidth so it is a good idea to future-proof your business by installing high-speed cables.
- Internet bandwidth is increasing day-by-day and you never know what your needs will be in the future. So plan ahead and pick a fast and sturdy cable.
Avoid Running the Cables Alongside Electrical Wires
- Structured cabling for data, internet, and the phone should never run along electrical wires. This is because data cables are made up of twisted pairs of wires which generates a magnetic field. If this is disturbed, the cable may not be able to perform as intended.
Follow Cabling Standards
- Cabling standards are there for a reason. Following these will help you install the cables with a very standardized approach that is being used by big businesses in the world. These standards will increase the efficiency of the cables, thus making your life easier in the future.
There are many standards to follow but it all depends on your need. Talk to a telecommunication service provider today to learn more about these standards.
Cable Length Matters
- You cannot install an unlimited amount of cable in your office. A standard network cable will only give you the best performance with approximately 90 meters in length. Any more than that and you’ll start seeing performance degradation.
This is why planning is so important. If you feel you need your cables to run more than 90m, then you’ll have to invest in cables that can manage that much length.
Get Professional Help
- Installing network cables for your business is not an easy task as you may have already guessed from the tips above. It is highly recommended that you seek professional help even if you have to hookup only a few computers to begin with.
Businesses tend to grow really fast and the need for increased cabling can stop you in your feet. Avoid this by planning ahead and choosing the right telecommunications service provider. A good partner will help you install the cables right and will make sure that your network cabling is future-proof.