Learn all about cloud in this cloud migrations 101 guide
Recent security breaches in a plethora of IT security firms have shown us that the protection of valuable and private company data is essential in order to ensure a company’s long-term existence and success. According to various surveys, almost all small businesses that suffer major data losses are unable to recover from it which leads to their shutting down or suffering major setbacks.
There are a variety of precautions that can be taken in order to ensure that your company’s data is protected in the event of an attack or a system failure. Among these solutions, the most common and widely used one is cloud migration.
What is Cloud Migration?
- Cloud migration can be defined as the process of moving all your valuable digital data onto the cloud.
Cloud migration is a process that requires a lot of meticulous planning to ensure that everything is done properly. During the planning phase, every aspect of the cloud migration process is properly studied and factors like compatibility, cost, and migration strategy are taken into account to make sure that everything goes as desired.
Cloud Migration Strategies
- Different cloud migration strategies are available to ensure that you are able to transfer your data efficiently and without any inconveniences based on your needs and requirements. These migration strategies include;
Re-host: This strategy is also known as “Lift and Shift” and it is based on the principle of re-hosting all your important data and applications onto the cloud without making any major changes to the core system architecture.
Re-platforming: In this strategy specially selected resources like apps or databases are migrated to the cloud to make use of the ease management services that it provides.
Re-purchasing: This strategy is based on migrating to an entirely different cloud.
Re-factoring: Also referred to as re-architecting, this strategy is based on the re-imagination of the current system architecture with the help of cloud-based services and features.
These Migration strategies have different uses based on your needs and requirements and require an understanding of cloud technology in order to ensure that you can choose a strategy that is best suited for you.
Benefits of Cloud Migrations
- Cloud migration offers a series of benefits that make it an ideal way to protect your company’s critical data from hackers and viruses. Some of these benefits are;
- Cloud computing can help you in scaling up your business which will allow you to support larger workloads and users more easily and efficiently.
- Moving your data to cloud storage helps you in reducing the amount that needs to be spent on various IT operations. For instance, cloud providers handle the maintenance and up-gradation of the cloud themselves which means that you don’t have to spend extra money for it.
Improved System Flexibility
- Users of the cloud system can access all the services and the data that is available on the cloud from anywhere they want. This improved reachability allows you to expand your business into new territories and offer your services to local as well as international audiences with ease. This also allows your employees to work remotely in case of an emergency.
On-premise to Cloud Migration
- Cloud migration processes can vary based on the size of the company and the amount of data that needs to be transferred from local servers to the cloud. However, there are some common steps that are needed to be followed which are;
- This step consists of determining the goals and objectives that you are looking to fulfill with the help of cloud migration. Establishing goals can help you in creating a parameter to measure the success or failure of a migration process.
Creating a Security Strategy
- Choosing a security strategy is essential for the successful transfer of important data. Precautions like cloud firewalls or application firewalls can help you keep your data safe and secure.
Copy Over Data
- Selecting a cloud migration strategy and a cloud provider is necessary to ensure that your data is successfully transferred without any breaches or losses.
All of these steps can be followed to guarantee the successful migration of your data to the cloud as well as its long-term safety and security.
If you have any more questions about the cloud migration process or if you are looking to get any more information about the various cloud migration services that are available, then you can read more about it today at Outsource My IT.