Learn 5 key cyber security practices for businesses and their benefits
Businesses of all sizes are susceptible to cyber-attacks on daily basis. Malware, ransomware, and phishing scams are the most common threats to business networks. There were 18 billion networked devices in 2017. According to an estimation, the stats will rise to 28 billion by 2022. Just as the business networks are growing cybercriminals are working their way towards perfection by covering their tracks, hiding in the cloud, and by tampering infrastructure of the web. It is the need of the hour to stay alert from cyber security attacks by investing in cyber security. Step into 2022 by upgrading your knowledge on best cyber security practices for businesses.
- Multi-factor authentication or MFA is a compelling factor that prevents unapproved users to get access to sensitive data. Use a fusion of details such as emails, security questions, text messages, and biometrics to allow safer user sign-ins. Additional layers of protection such as email verification, text verification, and time-based security codes should be used.
This would allow employees to log in to your business network from a managed device. But if the employees want to log in from an unmanaged device they should be made to pass an extra layer of security verification.
Strong Password Policy
- Creating a stronger password and changing it regularly is an important step towards protecting your business organization’s network. Implement a strong password policy by keeping in mind the following points:
Passwords should be kept long with a minimum length of 15 characters. Longer passwords are difficult to crack.
Use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters as well as use numbers and symbols in your password. Complex the password is, the harder it becomes for the attackers to guess it.
Using everyday dictionary words as the password is a terrible idea. Use unique combinations or phrases as passwords.
Strong passwords are generated by password managers on your behalf. These passwords are then saved in an encrypted location. A master password is required to access these passwords.
Create Data Backups
- Creating data backups is an ideal way to keep your business and personal data secured from cyber attacks such as ransomware. Ransomware is installed when an employee randomly clicks a malicious link.
Continuous data backups ensure that the data stays protected. The cloud can be used to create data backups in remote locations. If the data gets hacked you can restore it from the cloud.
Unbreakable Security Questions
- Tough security questions are an important measure that makes the verification process impenetrable by the imposters. Best security questions are those that allow valid users to authenticate themselves painlessly.
Create security questions based on the following points:
Security questions should be safe such that hackers find it difficult to research or figure them out.
The answer to the security questions should not change with time and should remain stable.
Answers should be witty and easier to remember by the users
The password you set should be simple and consistent
Manage IoT Security
- The popularity of IoT devices has grown in recent times. Access to critical data becomes most challenging with IoT. Smart door locks, security cameras, heating systems, doorbells as well as other equipment are crucial for the security of a business network.
Ensure protection for your business organization by:
- Encryption of data
- Planning security strategies
- Conduct penetration testing
- Foolproof authentication
Outsource My IT is a recognized IT services company that helps take your business technology to another level. If you are looking for reliable IT security services, give us a call at 973-638-2722. We have an experienced team of IT specialists working at our firm in New Jersey.