It’s easy to think of data management as a simple process of keeping threats out, but the reality of these security measures is much more complex. Think about how many data sources your network has. Then think about how those data are organized. Do your cybersecurity analysts have to comb through files to find evidence of a cyberattack? How diverse are your data formats? How many security tools do you use to protect your network? All of these points can influence your company’s data management and network security solutions.
Some of the biggest data management problems stem from the fact that cybersecurity and cybersecurity solutions are always evolving. Your data systems are always growing, too, as more users create more data. As users create new types of data in new places, your cybersecurity analysts need access to flexible security management solutions that can prevent advanced threats and data breaches in your ever-expanding network.
Five Steps for Better Data Management Solutions
Here are five steps you can take to improve your information security and create flexible threat deterrents to protect your systems, including your critical infrastructure:
- Create, enforce, and adapt data management standards for cybersecurity: Your company most likely already has a cataloging system for existing data sources and their contents. Now you just need to adapt that system for your cybersecurity team, giving them an organized way of finding potential threats and improving your cyber-risk management.
- Equip cybersecurity analysts with the right tools and platforms: Implement a data management and analytics platform that allows your analysts to have a complete picture of where a breach occurred, what type of data it touched, and what it did within the system. This will improve your system’s and your analysts’ overall threat intelligence.
- Establish cybersecurity frontlines: Your cybersecurity analysts should interact with decision-makers within your organization to develop policies and solutions that will strengthen your network’s security.
- Manage your systems with flexibility: Your systems are always growing and changing, and so are threats such as advanced malware. Successful cybersecurity solutions are ones that can grow, change, and evolve as data sources and security threats do. Don’t settle for a fixed set of methods to check for threats. Your methods, like penetration testing, have to evolve before you encounter new threats, and you need to have a wide array of possible solutions that you can implement in real time. Get comfortable with change, because you will be dealing with a lot of it
- Find and fix your employees’ skill gaps: Assess what kind of skills your analysts currently have, and train them on your security platform when necessary. Similarly, you should structure your data in a way that is accessible to your analysts. That way, the data are ready for query, analysis, and understanding, and your analysts can quickly locate and assess any threats that pop up.
Implement Effective Cyber Security Solutions with Outsource My IT
Instead of analyzing all of your data systems internally, allow our experts at Outsource My IT to do it. Our managed services can take care of your cybersecurity so you don’t have to. We offer a variety of processes, resources, and solutions for all of your data management needs. If you’re interested in accessing our comprehensive cybersecurity solutions, contact us today.