A firewall and antivirus software can only do so much. Hackers are always at work, attempting to find innovative new ways to identify vulnerabilities in your network. A professional vulnerability scan can help you keep a safe grip on your company’s hard-earned valuables.
A professional vulnerability assessment can help your business in a myriad of ways. By partnering with the right team, you’ll be able to give your business a long-term edge. To fully grasp the real world value of vulnerability testing, we’ve broken down four of the primary elements for you to understand:
What is Vulnerability Testing
Let’s start with the basics. The first order of business is to define what vulnerability testing actually is. To put it simply, vulnerability testing is a risk management procedure that identifies the weakest areas of your network. This security assessment scans your software and evaluates where potential security risks could cause the most amount of harm. During this process, a managed IT specialist simulates a real-life security breach. These security experts intentionally poke holes through your network to determine which areas of your infrastructure need more support. This assessment concludes with a full remediation cycle, in which your IT provider fixes all vulnerabilities and adds extra layers of security to defend your network.
Vulnerability Testing Benefits
There is a significant payoff that occurs as a result of a vulnerability assessment. By using a vulnerability scanner on your network and mobile/web applications, you’ll be able to boost your company in a myriad of ways. These are just some of the main benefits that you’ll have the opportunity to take advantage of:
- Complete validation of any current security safeguards
- Helps steer dangerous cyber threats away from your network
- Prevents expensive repairs, maintenance, and early replacements
- Helps evaluate the performance of any third-party IT support
- Protects the integrity of your assets in case a malicious code is hidden
- Full identification of almost all vulnerabilities living within your system
- Automated vulnerability scans can be programmed to run on a routine basis
- Detailed remediation instructions to detect existing flaws and prevent future attacks
- Additional support for regulatory compliance (PCI, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX). HIPAA, etc.)
Types of Vulnerability Testing
There are four specific kinds of vulnerability exercises to practice:
- Active Testing: This is an ongoing assessment where the tester adds new cases throughout the course of the assessment. This helps security specialists identify new risks that might be growing in your infrastructure over the course of time.
- Passive Testing: To put it simply, passive testing is a one-time procedure in which examiners monitor the result of running software without introducing new cases or data.
- Network Testing: This security evaluation measures the current state of your network as a whole. During this assessment, a tester examines the operating load to detect problems created by new services. Three groups of criteria will be tested during this security scan—utilization levels, the number of users in your network, and the amount that each application is utilized.
- Distributed Testing: Often referred to as a synchronization test, a distribution test examines specific parts of your server. Instead of assessing the sum of the infrastructure, a tester will assess specific applications one at a time.
Tools You’ll Need
One of the best things about vulnerability testing is that you don’t have to spend a fortune on extra hardware. Some assessments require specific software licenses but that depends on how often you choose to test your infrastructure and the type of test you choose to perform. There are plenty of online testing tools available, but the best thing you can do is talk to an experienced IT professional before putting the test into effect.
That’s where the experts at Outsource My IT can help most. We carry state-of-the-art vulnerability scanners to help companies identify where the biggest threats are. Our collection of [automated tools] helps spot risks in real time, so you can respond quickly, appropriately, and responsibly.
Security Vulnerability Testing Executed Correctly
When it comes to cybersecurity, Outsource My IT is the gold standard. Millions of cyber threats roam around the web, which means that disaster could strike at any time. How are you going to you know whether your network is strong enough to defend against a cyber attack? As experts in vulnerability management, we have plenty of resources that will help steer danger away from your most precious data. We carry cutting-edge vulnerability assessment tools to help companies maintain a safe position that’s always ahead of the curve.
Keep your network unscathed by scheduling your next vulnerability analysis with one of New Jersey’s sharpest technology professionals. Contact the Outsource My IT team today!