When your business starts to grow, there will come a time when you will need to consider outsourcing your IT department for the many benefits it provides. Outsourcing your IT operations to a company has several advantages such as integration with the latest technology and huge cost savings for your business.
While there are some risks to consider as well, outsourcing is largely beneficial for most companies that can’t afford to build up an IT team from the ground-up. Knowing when is a challenging task. At OutsourcemyIT, we sat down with several business owners and found out why it is important to give the reigns of your IT department to a company and what advantages and disadvantages this move can bring with it.
So if you’ve been wondering is it right to outsource my IT department, read on and find out what the experts and business owners have to say.
6 Reasons Why You Should Outsource Your IT Department
- As mentioned above, there are several reasons why a business should consider hiring an IT company to manage their IT operations. Here are some of the top reasons we were able to figure out from the industry.
You Get Specialized Skill Based Expert/Team
- The fastest way to get specialized skills for a short period of time is to hire an IT expert company. For instance, let’s say that your company requires a cybersecurity specialist for an ongoing project, imagine how long it would take you to hire an expert and what will you end up paying?
For short projects that last six months or less, outsourcing is your best option.
Saves You Costs
- Let’s be honest, for most modern businesses that rely a lot on information technology, building an IT team goes way beyond the budget of the business. When thinking about scaling your IT operations, it is a perfect time to ask yourself ‘should I outsource my IT department’?
Building a team from the ground up and keeping it internally will likely put a huge dent on your business. Unless and until you are generating revenue because of an application, or internet services, outsourcing your IT operations is the best way to save costs and have yourself an IT team you can count on.
- Did you know most security breaches are caused by human error? Whether you operate on-premises or on the cloud, your data is always at a risk from being hacked.
Modern cyber criminals target business employees through advanced social engineering techniques such as email phishing to steal login information. This information allows them to access your sensitive data.
- To protect yourself from such breaches, it is always a good idea to outsource your IT operations. An IT company has a well-trained team that is always on the look-out for suspicious activity and they provide data protection 24/7.
Increases Efficiency And Productivity
- Because technology is increasingly getting complex, and there is an actual shortage of high skilled IT professionals, it has become a driving force for many businesses to consider outsourcing their IT department to cater to the heavy loads.
IT companies provide automation, data backup security, and cloud migration. With your IT department outsourced, you can stay competitive longer in the market and you may even figure out new ways of doing things which results in increased productivity and efficiency.
It Can Help Scale Your Business
- Outsourcing to an IT firm that specializes in areas where you lack the expertise in-house can help scale your business significantly. Most business owners we talked to admitted that instead of wasting money and time on experimenting by hiring new staff and utilizing new technology, it is a good idea to outsource the IT department for a cheaper and more efficient way to manage data.
Outsourcing is also acceptable when you are expanding your IT operations and your internal team is unable to keep up with the growing demand.
Pros and Cons of Outsourcing Your IT Department
Like any other decision your company makes, there are advantages and disadvantages to outsourcing your IT dept. Here are some of the pros and cons of making this move for your business.
Pros of Outsourcing IT
- Better Productivity. In some small to medium businesses, certain employees or the business owner themselves may fill the IT gap by taking up the role temporarily but not treating it as their primary job. This can have a negative impact on other tasks you or your employees may have and that could mean a dent in your productivity. By outsourcing your IT department completely, you will get support when you need the most and at the same time, you’ll prevent compromising the productivity of your employees.
- Reduced Costs. This is probably the biggest advantage of outsourcing your company’s IT. For a small company, it can be very difficult to hire and train IT staff especially when the resources are very limited. Outsourcing IT to a company allows you to pay a set fee to expert staff only when you need it the most.
- Vast Range of Expertise. Outsourcing your IT department to a company that specialize in providing IT services means that you’ll get a vast range of expertise than you would otherwise get from hiring a single IT technician or a small team. IT service providers have large IT teams that are experts in various areas of information technology, allowing them to handle complex situations with expert knowledge and skill.
Cons of Outsourcing IT
- Reduced Work Quality. If your business has very limited needs and strict guidelines in place, you may not get the best quality you deserve. But this is usually due to working with the wrong company. With OutsourcemyIT, our professionals make sure that every job is completed according to your specifications. We work together with you at all times to ensure quality is met.
- Language Barriers. There is a good chance for the IT company you outsource your requirements may not be based in the United States. This makes it difficult to communicate with the IT experts at the company. At OutsourcemyIT, our IT experts are located in Fairfield, New Jersey. You are free to visit our office and meet our team firsthand before you outsource your IT department to our team.
- Longer Turnaround. Most outsourcing companies struggle with completing minor IT tasks on time versus an IT technician in your office. However, OutsourcemyIT specializes in fixing minor to major issues in IT and our tech support team is available 24/7 to help you out.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Outsourcing your IT department is a huge move that comes with risks. You probably have many questions about moving your IT department to an outsourced company. Here are some frequently asked questions answered to help you out.
How much can you save by outsourcing IT?
- The amount you can save by outsourcing is different for every company depending on their needs. However, the expected Return on Investment (ROI) is typically 30% on average in cost reductions and better productivity.
Let’s be honest, it takes a lot of time to fix technical problems, this time can be used by your employees to focus on other operations of your business.
Will you lose all control over your IT department once outsourced?
- By outsourcing your IT department, you will likely feel like you have lost control over the department. However, this isn’t something you should be worried about because every good outsourcing company provides regular updates and lets the owner have direct input into decision making and the process.
On the contrary, this will free you up to focus on more pressing matters in the company.
Is it better to outsource cloud computing to an IT company?
- Any modern business realizes the importance of cloud computing and storage. The two have increasingly become favored by small, medium, and large organizations for their many applications. However, it is better to outsource this area to an IT company because managing the cloud is something that requires expert skill and the staff that can handle these problems come expensive.
Choosing The Perfect IT Partner
- When you are looking to outsource your IT department to an IT partner for your company, make sure to ask them about how they plan to measure their success. The IT company should give you specific goals to fulfill your business needs. A good company will always provide you an accountability plan before signing a deal with you.
In 2020, more and more small to medium businesses are outsourcing their IT requirements and this is expected to get bigger in the future. This is an ever-evolving field that will continue to be an important part of your business today and tomorrow. With this in mind, you should give a good thought on outsourcing your IT department to a good company.
Founded in 2001, Outsource My IT is a professional IT management company in New Jersey that provides cybersecurity solutions, cloud services, and IT consulting to companies across the tri-state area. Our talented team of IT experts cares about growing businesses, and we believe that every company deserves world-class IT support, regardless of size or budget. So get in touch with us today and let us take good care of your IT department.