A penetration test is a great defense mechanism for a variety of reasons. Running an assessment on your IT system can help you determine some areas you might be lacking, and in the long run, this can help save your company a lot of money. But there’s a lot more to gain than just vulnerability exposure and cost savings.
Here are the five primary advantages of professional pen testing:
- Risk Prioritization: Pen testing gives users a full view of their internal and external security systems. You’ll be able to see how your security controls are performing. This gives you an advantage because you’ll be able to see which risks pose the biggest threat to your infrastructure, allowing you to build a better defense strategy in the process.
- Hacking Prevention: A pen test simulates a real-life hack. This process pokes holes in your security system. Exposing these holes early on allows you to provide immediate remedies before malicious threats of hacking start to surface.
- A More Mature IT Environment: Performing helps users remain ahead of the curve. These security assessments give each user the leverage to maintain stronger security postures. Security experts examine the landscape of threats and identify vulnerabilities that might be more susceptible to more modern attacks.
- Fewer Data Breaches and More Operational Control: Data breach remedies are expensive and time consuming. Routine pen tests are proactive security measures used to prevent such financial loss. A more mature IT environment correlates to fewer data breaches, which translates to less downtime, allowing you to focus on perfecting every area of your business.
- Compliance Support: Your IT system must comply with all standards and regulations issued by the Payment Card Industry (PCI) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Regularly performing a penetration assessment is an act of due diligence that exposes areas of your infrastructure that might be walking a thin line. This can help you avoid heavy fines associated with noncompliance.