Here is the comprehensive discussion about zero trust architecture
Multiple internal networks, IoT devices, remote offices, and cloud services have to complex a typical enterprise’s infrastructure. Perimeter-based network security is no longer sufficient to prevent security breaches. This has led to the developing of a new cybersecurity architecture known as Zero Trust, which is used to stop potential security violations. Let’s dig deeper to learn more about zero-trust architecture.
What Is Zero Trust Architecture?
- Designed to reduce internal lateral movement and prevent data security breaches, zero trust architecture (ZTA) is an enterprise-based cybersecurity infrastructure. The primary focus of ZTA is data and service protection, but it can also be expanded to include other assets.
The zero-trust architecture consists of a set of fundamental principles regarding system design, workflow, and operations. These principles allow enterprises to improve the security posture of any classification or sensitivity level.
No Trust Policy
- Forrester Research introduced the zero-trust security model. It provides a high level of assurance to organizations that want to protect their sensitive data. While traditional security models consider all internal activities and devices safe, ZTA is based on a ‘never trust always verify’ policy.
It assumes that no device, user, or application attempting to interact with your network can be trusted. The traditional cybersecurity methods have done little to reduce the flow of cyberattacks and insider threats. That is why modern approaches in the form of ZTA are crucial for an organization’s security.
Lateral Movement Security
- Zero-trust architecture limits the lateral threat movement within a network by utilizing micro-segmentation and granular perimeters based on user, data, and location. The different strategies the attackers use to navigate a network while searching for valuable data are represented by lateral movement.
Attackers that penetrate an endpoint need to move laterally all-round the networking environment to find the data center holding the targeted content. For this reason, limiting lateral movement is necessary.
How To Develop A Zero Trust Architecture?
Follow these guidelines to develop a successful zero-trust architecture:
- Using zero-trust with zoning capabilities, gain visibility and context for all internal traffic.
- A next-generation firewall with decryption capabilities should be used to run traffic. Next-generation firewall enables micro-segmentation of perimeters by working as the border control within the organization.
- Monitor and verify traffic as it runs through different functions inside the network.
- Add robust verification methods such as multi-factor authentication (MFA) or biometric verification. These methods help increase the ability to verify users entering the network.
Implementing a zero-trust approach is essential for developing a zero-trust architecture. The zero trust approach helps identify risks associated with business processes, data flows, data, and users. Using the zero-trust approach, security policies can also be implemented, which are automatically updated depending on the associated risk.
Significance Of Choosing A Zero Trust Architecture
- Modern cloud environments are an attractive target for cyber attackers seeking to destroy or ransom business-sensitive data, including personally identifiable information, intellectual property, etc. Zero trust architecture is among the top most effective security strategies in the modern world that can help mitigate the risk of data breaches to a great extent. It strengthens the businesses’ security by shrinking the attack surface, reducing the impact and severity of attacks, and minimizing the time and cost of response and clean-up after an attack.
Given the data extensions in today’s IT environment, the ability to not trust any connection without proper verification is critical for business security. The zero trust model enables you to use fine-grained controls to distinguish regulated and non-regulated data. Moreover, it allows you to construct perimeters around certain critical data types.
Outsource My IT is a recognized IT services company that helps take your business technology to another level. If you are looking for reliable IT security services, call us at 973-638-2722. We are located in New Jersey.