Discover the benefits of zero trust security as a long-term security measure
Zero-trust security has become a prevalent topic of discussion in cybersecurity circles. With the cybersecurity threat landscape growing seemingly more significant daily, cybersecurity experts urge organizations to adopt a zero-trust security approach. Keep reading to find out how the zero-trust security model proves to be a long-term security solution for business organizations.
Zero Trust Security Approach
- Zero trust is a conventional and the most holistic, layered cybersecurity approach organizations can adopt to protect their networks. The zero-trust security model prevents data breaches and intrusions by removing “trust” from an organization’s network and users. A zero-trust network is built to trust no one and nothing by default.
Anyone who tries to gain access to resources has to undergo verification protocols. It allows a person or a device to access resources on a private network only after undergoing strict identity verification. Given the data extensions in today’s IT environment, the ability to not trust any connection without proper verification is critical for long-term business security.
The Downfall Of Perimeter Based Security
- Cybersecurity has always been a concern since the network’s inception. But it wasn’t until Cornell University graduate student Robert Tappan Morris developed the first automated worm in 1988. The world’s first major attack on the internet exposed the vulnerabilities of networked computers overnight. This discovery motivated government departments, militaries, and higher learning institutions to tighten existing security measures.
Their efforts ultimately led to the creation of standard antivirus and firewall programs. While on-prem solutions are better than nothing, challenges remain. Whenever cybercriminals hack a system, they get access to everything on the corporate network. The on-prem strategy worked well enough until remote work became the “new normal” in recent years.
Zero Trust Model Is A Long Term Security Solution
- In 2020, a historic shift in the job market occurred in the form of remote working. Today, up to 60% of U.S employees prefer to do their jobs remotely. This shift exacerbated existing challenges and gave rise to new ones. Bring your device (BYOD) policies, cloud applications, and remote troubleshooting are some of the growing challenges. These challenges require organizations to adopt better ways to strengthen their networks beyond on-premise security measures. Implementation of zero-trust security architecture is the only long-term and effective solution to this perimeter-less working environment.
The zero-trust security model allows IT departments to employ zero-trust elements, including multi-factor authentication, mobile device management (MDM), and identity management, quickly and cost-effectively. Prioritizing small steps is essential to implement a full-fledged zero-trust program. Start with the network resources that the employees rely on and focus on the factors that make the most sense for your organization. In this way, organizations can build a long-term and fool-proof security infrastructure.
Thoroughly Plan Zero Trust Security Initiatives
- The zero trust security model offers organizations a long-term solution for combating modern data breaches and threats. However, while planning zero trust security initiatives, organizations might assume that zero trust is expensive, time-invasive, or complex. Switching to zero trust does not have to be overwhelming.
It is crucial to strategize and plan the execution of this security infrastructure by keeping in mind the following points:
- The unique needs of your organization
- Existing infrastructure compatibility
- Available resources and budget
Consolidate your efforts whenever possible as the best way to streamline the journey. Gain access to several zero trust elements, such as patch management, mobile device management, identity and access management, single sign-on (SSO), compliance reporting, etc., by hiring a competent cybersecurity company.
Outsource My IT is a recognized IT services company that helps take your business technology to another level. If you are looking for reliable IT security services, call us at 973-638-2722. We are located in New Jersey.